You feelin’ it! The lyrics of Summer. It’s here. Children are out of school. Time to shift to camp and vacation schedules. But do you really sit back and unwind? Your marriage needs nurturing outside of the hectic travel schedules. Why not stay nearby and enjoy the great outdoors? Here are a few tips to help you and your family enjoy some fun in the sun.
- Relax and Loosen Up. Summertime is the best time to have a casual, fun affair without all of the preparation inside of the house. Have a clean and clear path to the bathroom and keep all of the lights off in the living room/dining room and close the bedroom doors. You can clean the rest of the house later!
- Pick a Theme. Summer opens the doors to possibilities. Go beyond Red, White and Blue. A Mexican fiesta, a crab fest and/or lobster bake, a 70’s party or a Hawaiian Luau. If you are gathering old friends from school, make the theme your school colors. No matter what you choose, keep it simple and easy for people to participate.
- Prepare the grill in advance. Get the grill cleaned up if it’s the first time using it this summer. Make sure you have everything- stock up on charcoal or refill the propane tank. Set up a table next to the grill with the necessary grilling tools and serving platters. (Hint: Great ideas for Father’s Day. And the grill aprons complete with mitts would help protect his linen short set or his 70’s psychedelic shirt, depending on how your man rolls).
- Make fresh cuttings part of the decor. Look around your yard and garden. Cut some flowers, greenery and put them in some recycled cans or colored jars to bring some fresh scent and color to the party.
- Don’t you stop it, Don’t you stop…stop the music. Music makes the party. Select your soundtrack in advance. Whether it is satellite radio or a portable device, make sure that you have the playlist ready. Oh! And that the speakers are charged or that the extension cord is long enough.
Summertime is the best time to have a casual, fun affair without all of the preparation inside of the house.
Set up seating. Ask your friends and family to bring folding chairs and see if you can grab some small chair cushions from a Goodwill or Salvation Army. It’s Summertime. Don’t worry about them matching. Just a little bit of cushion will help your guests stay a little longer.
Choose food for everyone. Be sure to ask your guests if they have food allergies or other dietary restrictions. Nothing will kill a party faster than a visit from the paramedics. Based on what info you gather, you may consider a potluck as well because that will lighten the load off of you as the host and give you to try your cousin’s potato salad which always seems to be gone by the time you get to the barbecue, right?
41085215 l 600×900 – 10 Tips for Family Summer Fun
Stop them from buggin’ you. You can’t talk about outdoor entertainment without talking about mosquitoes. Running a fan near the dining area will help keep the mosquitoes away. Have a bucket near the fan with natural insect repellent and sunscreen tucked in there to further help protect your guests?
Set up the outdoor lighting. This is my favorite part of the decor. The different light style for the outdoors can be displayed so many different ways. And if you don’t like lights, try candles in a lantern or in a mason jar.
Eat well and be merry. You did all of this work, sit back with your husband and friends and enjoy. Remember, life is not remembered by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Tell us how you make summer fun with your family!
What is your favorite summer getaway spot? How do you make summer fun close to home? Post your comments below.